What can I do with these??

Discussions about commercial and domestic lighting fittings and fixtures (not streetlighting).
Kev
Favourite Manufacturer: Atlas and CourtneyPope
Area of interest: Discharge and Fluorescent

What can I do with these??

Post by Kev » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:17 pm

This is what I removed this afternoon I get this daily and I do think its a shame. This is an example of what I have to do when an HF batten blows up. But what can I do with the shells? I have more spare fitzy springs lamp holders and bits than i can shake a stick at and i do not believe it is worth changing the HF ballast?? Any ideas? Also the lamps they are all good Philips master 840s from 2004 which is quite new for them! But are they worth re-installing??
photo 5.JPG
Also this classroom tells a story...As you can just about tell from the photo every light in this classroom 4 out of 4 are now switch start. I had to convert this one to emergency! The old ones are dated 2003!
Attachments
photo 4.JPG

SuperSix
Favourite Manufacturer: Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Mercury Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: BTH 200W Carbon Filament Lamp

Re: What can I do with these??

Post by SuperSix » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:29 pm

I'd put new ballasts in them myself, shame you can't get some transtar electronic start ballasts for them, that'd be a direct swap for HF probably without needing to rewire. I wouldn't mind them fittings myself, pity I weren't nearer too you!

Tom
ATL Admin
Favourite Manufacturer: Pre 1993 Thorn
Area of interest: Fluorescent and Discharge Lighting
Oldest item: One of a few pip top lamps!

Post by Tom » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Are new fittings really as cheap as new HF ballasts? CPC are selling HF 4' Crompacks for around £30 plus VAT! ballast and starter switch. Upon switch-on, the starter closes and preheats the tube's cathode filaments. Upon opening, the magnetic field within the ballast collapses, causing a voltage pulse which strikes the tube. This is often repeated twice or more, causing the distinctive blinking at startup.">Switchstart equivalent is £11 odd!!
I LOVE LAMP!

Kev

Post by Kev » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Thing is guys, If i convert them to switch start there are no holes or the allowence for starters in them so i would either have to cut out for starters (very timley) or put the starters on the inside where the cartakers will not see them. There is no way i will be installing HF while i have a choice and i like to support switch start as much as i can. @Eliot the Transtar ballasts would be cool, Do they do a 2x58w magnetic with electronic start all built in? We get new HF ballasts for about £20 odd where as a new fitzey fitting 2X58W SS is about £15 odd. Difference is that you know 100% that the switch start will last. As of lately i have had 2 brand new off the shelf Tridonic HF ballasts that have not worked for 2x40W PL-L lamps.

SuperSix

Post by SuperSix » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:38 pm

I didn't think about it being twin, you'd need two ballasts. The other alternative is standard chokes and those potted pulsestarters designed to go inside the fitting and not need replacing. I suppose you could also do what they did with the slimline lightpacks and have a standard starter holder inside and a pulsestarter.

Kev

Post by Kev » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:43 pm

I think that would be a better idea. I always remember about 6 years ago working at a hewden hire shop in their spray booth where they had a large number of defective Thorlux weather packs...Theres me with a box of new lamps and starters only to find that the wired in pulse starters had failed in almost all the defective ones so i had to wire in starter holders! But who knows they were from like the late 80s not done bad really and the newer type maybe more reliable?

SuperSix

Post by SuperSix » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm not sure about the newer ones, I've seen more of the newer ones failing than the original ones! The preheat time just seems to get shorter and shorter until they do more damage than a glow starter would.

Kev

Post by Kev » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:04 pm

So in conclusion really these are just scrap? What about the tubes tho? I think i am going to save them for use on HF!

funkylamp
Favourite Manufacturer: Westinghouse Lamps
Area of interest: fluorescent-MV lighting

Post by funkylamp » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:51 am

How about order a case of 4 lamp instant start HF ballast from the US and wire them in over drive for both 58 watt lamps.

amtrakuk
Favourite Manufacturer: Light Ideas Philips Fitzgerald
Area of interest: Discharge lighting
Oldest item: c 1975 Light Ideas

Post by amtrakuk » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Kev wrote:This is what I removed this afternoon I get this daily and I do think its a shame. This is an example of what I have to do when an HF batten blows up. But what can I do with the shells? I have more spare fitzy springs lamp holders and bits than i can shake a stick at and i do not believe it is worth changing the HF ballast?? Any ideas? Also the lamps they are all good Philips master 840s from 2004 which is quite new for them! But are they worth re-installing??
photo 5.JPG
Also this classroom tells a story...As you can just about tell from the photo every light in this classroom 4 out of 4 are now switch start. I had to convert this one to emergency! The old ones are dated 2003!

Hey Kev just seen the thread...

Good to see your keeping up the side and putting something British up ;)
EU - Ethics Undermined